Sunday, January 29, 2012

From elephant to mouse, and back again.

My first non-hat project of the new year! Okay, so I actually started this a long time ago....like maybe December of 2010. It was put aside in favor of the year of hats project and it took this long to pick it up again.  I am glad to cross this one off my 'knitting to-do list."

Watch and be amazed:
It starts as an adorable little mouse.  Can't you hear it squeaking away?  Then something crazy happens:
Oh, wait for it, wait for it.....POP! Now it's an elephant. Super awesome.
This pattern is from a great knitting book called Itty Bitty Toys by Susan Anderson. It has adorable patterns and I particular love the author because she's from Madison! I even have my very own signed copy. I did modify this particular pattern. It is actually supposed to be a cat that turns into a mouse or a lion that turns into an elephant, but I thought it would be way cuter to have a mouse and an elephant reversible.  This little yarn and stuffing charmer is a birthday gift for a little flesh and blood charmer that I know who is having a birthday soon!  I will posted pictures once the gift has been delivered.

Other projects in the works:

I want to make Squeaker an Advent calendar this year. Naturally, it has to be a knitted calendar. My great friend Amanda made one a few years ago--24 little stocking hung by the fireplace with care. I absolutely loved the idea and I plan to copy her. I'm going make 24 little mittens though. I'm starting now, because I figure if I can make a few mittens a month between now and November, it will be way better than trying to make 24 mittens in the month of November (which is what I would typically do) and being completely sick of the project.

Also, a baby sweater!  I found a fabulous pattern on Ravelry for a top down baby sweater and it's on my needles now. I hope to have some pictures soon.

Take care!
Kate

1 comment:

Amanda said...

It turned out great! Love it! And Squeaker's Advent calendar is going to be super cute.